Saturday, December 23, 2017

German Christmas Markets of 2017

I cannot believe another year has gone by and I barely got to any Christmas markets! I'm so mad at myself.  We just didn't have a lot of time this year (Advent ran right up to Christmas, unfortunately), and I was gone for a week, plus we all got sick with head colds. Such is life, I guess.


We certainly would never miss our hometown Christmas market, however.  We love the market at the Auerbach Maffei iron ore mine every year.  It was VERY cold this year, and started snowing by the end of the day. 


A little Gluhwein will keep you warm though!


Starting to get dark around 4 pm.  I love this market because there are tons of little fireplaces all around to warm yourself up. And PLENTY of gluhwein stands.  You can't drive directly there - you need to park in south Auerbach (south of the traffic light) and take the bus in.  But the buses run very frequently so you won't have to wait long.


Alcohol is served at 18.  But beer?  That's 16 here in Germany. 


I take this picture every year!


See?  Little fireplaces to warm yourself up. Natalie might vehemently deny she likes her brother, but secretly, we know she does.


The only other market we got to this year was the Nuremberg market!  It's one of the biggest and most well known of all of the German Christmas markets.  We happened to be in Nuremberg for Todd's work holiday party, so after that was over, we had a couple of hours to stroll through the market and enjoy some gluhwein.

They even have a small international section.  From Atlanta, USA, you can buy individual Twinkies and Resee's Peanut Butter cups. 'Murica!


Poor Todd was in the throes of his head cold.  Hopefully the gluhwein helped a bit.  I loved the mugs this year - featuring the 500th anniversary of when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of the Wittenburg Church.


St. Sebaldus Church was the backdrop for some festively lit trees and a band playing some holiday tunes.


 They were certainly making spirits bright!


I'm really disappointed that I didn't get to more markets than these two this year.  Next year, I promise more visits! Just pray for good health and that neither of us is required to travel for work!  

Until next time, German Weinachtsmarkt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bailey Planet

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers